Summer Worship Schedule
Morning Service - 8:00 am
Sunday School - 9:15 am
Adult Bible Study - 9:15 am
Late Service - 10:30 am
Saturday Service - 6:00 pm
Please see bulletin for latest updates.
Fall Education Schedule begins in September!
Sunday Morning – 9:15 Sunday School – Starts September 7
9:15 Adult Bible Classes – 9/7 Peggy Wolfram, Volunteer Missionary to Belize
“The Unexplained” Ken Frank – Education Wing 9/14 “Dare to be Different” – Pastor Weinhold – Adult Meeting Room
Sunday September 14 at 6:30 - Disciple of Christ Class – A review of the basic teachings of the Lutheran Church – 10 weeks
Tuesday September 16 at 7:00 – Women’s Bible Study – “Golden Fruit: Living the Fruit of the Spirit Through the Best Times of Your Life” Call Barb Johnson at 815-899-0661 for more info.
Tuesday – 6:00 – “Walk Through the Bible” Pastor Metzger Wednesday – Noon – “Search the Scriptures” Pastor Weinhold
Thank You from the Pluhm/Anderson family would like to thank Pastor Metzger, Pastor Weinhold for the beautiful service and Ladies Aid for their hard work and wonderful luncheon. Thank you to the church members for the prayers.
Peggy Wolfram, Volunteer Missionary through Central American Lutheran Mission Society (CALMS) will be with us week at all three services and Adult Bible Class. She will share with us what is involved in the mission work in Belize and especially with regard to Mission teams in Belize.
Cardiac Rehabbers Wanted bakers for the Cardiac Rehab bake sale at Kishwaukee Hospital's artisan's market on Friday October 17th 9 am - 5 pm. We will have a booth featuring ginger bread cookies, and small loaves of various kinds of bread (pumpkin, zucchini, date nut, lemon poppy-seed, banana, and cranberry-orange). Please contact Alberta Dequin at 815-758-7265 within the next week if you can bake for the sale.
Please keep, Pastor Tim Carr in your prayers. We have just received an e-mail from Pastor Carr indicating that he has been diagnosed with stage four colorectal cancer that has metastasized to his liver and lungs. He is going through regular chemotherapy treatments in Ft. Wayne. We trust God in faith for His healing now and for an eternity with Christ in heaven. Pastor Carr is a former Pastor of St. John.
Rev. Harold W. Schmidt Walk for Seniors Christian Senior Ministries is holding its 13th Annual Christian Senior Ministries “Walk for Seniors” at Walcamp, Kingston, IL. on Sunday, September 28, 2014 at 1:30 p.m. The event was renamed “The Rev. Harold W. Schmidt Walk for seniors” in recognition and honor of Pastor Schmidt (Trinity Lutheran Church, Genoa pastor emeritus) who was actively involved with Christian Senior Ministries for several years and was instrumental in developing this annual fund raising event. Christian Senior Ministries will provide refreshments and a light snack as well as bingo and a brief presentation.
The Board of Elders and Board of Administration approved the following changes in our communication channels at St. John. If you have any questions please talk with Christina, or either of the Pastors. Thank you.
1. The weekly bulletin will be the primary source of news and information about and concerning St. John. A rolling jive week schedule of upcoming events would be maintained in the weekly bulletin.
2. The monthly newsletter would be discontinued.
3. All articles and announcements would be published subsequently in the weekly
4. The weekly bulletin would be posted promptly each week to the website.
5. The weekly bulletin would be available to the congregation via e-mail and regular mail. Those who would like to receive the weekly bulletin via e-mail or regular mail would need to make that request directly to the church ofjice. Forms would be available to make that request.
6. “All congregation” mailings would be sent four times a year by regular mail approximately on the following schedule: Prior to Advent, prior to Lent, prior to the summer worship change, prior to the beginning of the fall worship change. Other mailings could be sent as needed.
7. Additional announcements concerning special events would be shared through our computerized phone tree.
8. It has not been decided yet how we will communicate with regard to weekly participants in worship (i.e. ushers, greeters, prayer leaders, acolytes...). Options are a monthly mailing or weekly postcards.
The above policy will be implemented as of October 1, 2014
Belize Mission Trips If you are at all interested in considering going to Belize to assist in the mission and ministry of the Lutheran Church there, please talk with Pastor Weinhold as soon as possible. We now have individuals who have stepped forward as leaders and we are looking for people who are interested in going as participants in either 2015 or 2016.
St. John Lutheran Church Bell Choir The Bells of Praise are seeking new members for the fall season. Rehearsals are for one hour each week on Thursday’s at 6:00pm. Rehearsals will begin on Thursday, September 11th. Music reading is not a requirement but preferred. Anyone can be taught to ring bells! The Bells of Praise is a group of fellowship and fun. It’s great way to serve St, John’s. For more information please contact Kirk Lundbeck at (815)901-2346 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.