Summer Worship Schedule
One Sunday Service for the Summer
Adult Bible Study 8 am
Worship with Holy Communion 9:15 am
Worship 6 pm
Please see bulletin for latest updates.
Please keep, Pastor Tim Carr in your prayers. We have just received an e-mail from Pastor Carr indicating that he has been diagnosed with stage four colorectal cancer that has metastasized to his liver and lungs. He is going through regular chemotherapy treatments in Ft. Wayne. We trust God in faith for His healing now and for an eternity with Christ in heaven.
Blood Drive At Immanuel Lutheran in DeKalb Immanuel Lutheran in cooperation with Heartland Blood Centers is sponsoring a community blood drive at Immanuel Lutheran Church, 511 Russell Road, DeKalb, from 3 pm - 6:30 pm on Tuesday, September 2nd. Donors will receive a $10 gift card (while supplies last). Persons wishing to donate may sign up by calling 756-1113. Walk-ins are welcome.
Rev. Harold W. Schmidt Walk for Seniors Christian Senior Ministries is holding its 13th Annual Christian Senior Ministries “Walk for Seniors” at Walcamp, Kingston, IL. on Sunday, September 28, 2014 at 1:30 p.m. The event was renamed “The Rev. Harold W. Schmidt Walk for seniors” in recognition and honor of Pastor Schmidt (Trinity Lutheran Church, Genoa pastor emeritus) who was actively involved with Christian Senior Ministries for several years and was instrumental in developing this annual fund raising event. Christian Senior Ministries will provide refreshments and a light snack as well as bingo and a brief presentation.
This past week the Board of Elders and Board of Administration approved the following changes in our communication channels at St. John. If you have any questions please talk with Christina, or either of the Pastors. Thank you.
1) The weekly bulletin will be the primary source of news and information about and concerning St. John. A rolling five week schedule of upcoming events would be maintained in the weekly bulletin.
2) The monthly newsletter would be discontinued.
3) All articles and announcements would be published subsequently in the weekly bulletin.
4) The weekly bulletin would be posted promptly each week to the website.
5) The weekly bulletin would be available to the congregation via e-mail and regular mail. Those who would like to receive the weekly bulletin via e-mail or regular mail would need to make that request directly to the church office. Forms would be available to make that request.
6) “All congregation” mailings would be sent four times a year by regular mail approximately on the following schedule: Prior to Advent, prior to Lent, prior to the summer worship change, prior to the beginning of the fall worship change. Other mailings could be sent as needed.
7) Additional announcements concerning special events would be shared through our computerized phone tree.
8) It has not been decided yet how we will communicate with regard to weekly participants in worship (i.e. ushers, greeters, prayer leaders, acolytes…). Options are a monthly mailing or weekly postcards.
The above policy will be implemented as of October 1, 2014
Belize Mission Trips If you are at all interested in considering going to Belize to assist in the mission and ministry of the Lutheran Church there, please talk with Pastor Weinhold as soon as possible. We now have individuals who have stepped forward as leaders and we are looking for people who are interested in going as participants in either 2015 or 2016.
St. John Lutheran Church Bell Choir The Bells of Praise are seeking new members for the fall season. Rehearsals are for one hour each week on Thursday’s at 6:00pm. Rehearsals will begin on Thursday, September 11th. Music reading is not a requirement but preferred. Anyone can be taught to ring bells! The Bells of Praise is a group of fellowship and fun. It’s great way to serve St, John’s. For more information please contact Kirk Lundbeck at (815)901-2346 or email him at email@example.com.
Summer Fellowship During the summer months, fellowship will be held in the multipurpose room following the service. Please plan to stick around to visit and enjoy some goodies! We are looking for some volunteers to be providers during these months. Please sign up on the sheet located by the bulletin board.