We believe, teach, and confess that Holy Absolution is a means of grace through which the Triune God forgives sinners through the mouth of His servants. This gift is for all who repent and look to Jesus for full and free forgiveness.
What does God’s Word say?
Below are a few Scripture passages that teach about God’s forgiveness and the absolution He has authorized His Church to speak:
- Jesus: “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” [Matthew 16:19]
- Jesus: “Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” [Matthew 18:18]
- Jesus: “The one who hears you hears Me.” [Luke 10:16a]
- Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent Me, even so I am sending you.” And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.” [John 20:21-23]
For further reading:
- Luther’s Small Catechism
Augsburg Confession, Article XI: Of Confession | Apology, Article XI: Of Confession
Augsburg Confession, Article XII: Of Repentance | Apology, Article XII: Of Repentance
Augsburg Confession, Article XXV: Of Confession | Apology, Article XXV: Of Confession
- Smalcald Articles, Part III, Article III: Of Repentance
- Smalcald Articles, Part III, Article VIII: Of Confession